Friday, June 6, 2008

Lost One of My Heroes

When I was an undergraduate, I worked at the Student Leadership and Development Office, a dream job for any student! There are tons of opportunities available to the students who work there and quite a few perks. One of the best things about working there when I did was the amazing group of women I was able to work with: Christine, Natalie, Ericka, Margie, and Cynthia. These intelligent, independent, hard-working women were, and are, my role models and friends.

Last summer, I started working at the SLD Office again as a temp because Cynthia was out on medical leave. After working there for a couple of weeks, I found out why Cynthia wasn't there; she had breast cancer and it was pretty bad. She wasn't responding to treatments. Two days ago, after struggling for well over a year, Cynthia passed away.

My heart hurts for her family. She was a single mom and her mother and nineteen-year-old son were there for her every step of the way. She was the most devout Christian I knew, always offering God's grace in times of need and sharing her amazing voice in the church choir. She was a wonderful mother for her son and a mother figure to many of the students who came through the office. How could such a good person struggle for so long and be taken away so soon?

No comments: