Our last ultrasound was 4 weeks ago. At that time, the placenta was measured to be only 1.3 centimeters away from the cervix, which was still in the danger zone for marginal placenta previa. At that time, the maternal fetal specialist thought it would be a good idea to do weekly ultrasounds beginning during week 34.
We had an ultrasound yesterday morning and I was so nervous but we ended up being surprised by tons of good news! First, at the last ultrasound, Baby J was estimated to be 4 pounds 6 ounces, but his chunky butt jumped up to an estimated 6 pounds 13 ounces in the last 4 weeks! His position dropped significantly, which I suspected. The combination of his growth and lower position seems to have caused my uterus to FINALLY expand in the front. Neither the sono tech nor the specialist could get an accurate measurement of the distance between the cervix and placenta edge (due to baby's big beautiful head blocking their view) but both could tell it was significantly higher than it was before and is definitely higher than 2 centimeters.
What does this mean? If a bleed starts, baby's head could put enough pressure on it to stop the bleeding which is something the lower uterus can't do on it's own (the lower uterus doesn't contract, which is why hemorraging can occur of a bleed starts). It also means our chances of going for a natural delivery have just improved! But now we're freaking out because we're not prepared for actual labor and it's too late to get into any classes! Ahhh! All I can say is I'm going to give unmedicated labor my best shot, but I don't know how things are going to go with this potentially giant baby and no method for relaxation and pain management. ;-)
We don't have an ultrasound next week, but during week 36 (Thanksgiving week), the specialist is going to start monitoring the health of the placenta. Since we did experience bleeding, it's possible that the placenta could deteriorate early and they want to make sure baby stays healthy (clearly, it hasn't been a problem so far, so we're not too worried). They will also continue to monitor baby's size. I only weighed 6 pounds 7 ounces when I was born, and I was born on my due date, but Baby J is definitely his father's son. Ryan weighed 9 pounds 10 ounces at birth! If our little man continues to gain half a pound a week and we make it all the way to 40 weeks, he could very well be 10 pounds! The specialist suggested being more active at home (YES!) and watching my caloric Intake in the coming weeks, just in case, because baby does have a well-above average sized belly. I do want him to be healthy, so Ryan said no more mac'n'cheese. Boo. I must admit though, I'm so excited to smooch on baby's pudgy belly!!!
Sorry we don't have a picture. Now that he's so big, the images aren't too clear. However, the sono tech did say, "oh my gosh! Look how cute his lips are!" He definitely has Arnold lips and it was so cute to see him sucking on his little hand!
2 comments:
Are you planning on getting an epidural? If so...no need for prenatal classes! For me they were a waste of time! The drugs are great...if you get them!!
Lot's of fun news! Enjoy your exciting time of getting to move a little bit more to get ready for your sweet baby boy.
Post a Comment