Friday, January 3, 2014

Dani's Gluten Free Flour Blend

People who have gluten allergies or sensitivities are very fortunate to have so many options available in most regular grocery stores and widely available in stores like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. There are great products designed to replace the things we love which ordinarily contain wheat flour. Wheat flour, however, seems to be magical and powerful. It takes several alternative flours and gums to replace the texture and flavor. These products are wonderful for people who can't tolerate gluten. When I learned I was sensitive to gluten I became excited to try all of these new mixes and products, but that bubble of excitement was quickly deflated. One of the main ingredients in most of these wonderful products is almost always potato starch or potato flour! Noooo! My reaction to potatoes is several times stronger than wheat. If I eat white potatoes, I will be in bed with severe muscle cramps within eight hours and it will take days to recover and return to my normal. Fortunately, my sister Dani is an avid baker. She, unfortunately, must also avoid gluten. She's spent some time playing with different blends and seems to have found one that works as a pretty good wheat flour replacement and it does so without using potatoes. We used it this week for Belgian waffles and ricotta gnocchi and both were amazing!

Dani's Gluten-Free Potato-Free Flour Blend:

6 cups rice flour (can be all white rice flour or a mix of white and brown)
3 cups tapioca starch
2 tbsp xanthan gum

Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Use it directly in place of flour.

That's it! So simple!



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the shout out Sis! Storing the mix in the freezer is even better! (If you have the room!)