Thursday, February 6, 2014

Why I "Go Red for Women": Heart Fact #6

I had no idea women could suffer heart failure as a result of pregnancy until it happened to me.

When I was diagnosed, I learned it happens about once per hospital per year. Once diagnosed, a woman has about a 33% chance of full recovery, 33% chance of staying the same, and a 33% chance of decline or even death.

I will Go Red for Women on February 7 to help raise awareness of heart disease and encourage people to contribute to organizations like the American Heart Association. Researchers don't know what causes an otherwise healthy woman to develop heart failure during or shortly after pregnancy. Clearly more research needs to be done. Women also need to know that this condition exists and can happen to anyone regardless of their pre-pregnancy health. 

Tomorrow, February 7, please wear red and show your support!

No comments: