If there's one thing I generally keep well-organized, it's our food. I hate to see anything go to waste and one of the best ways to do that is to know what you have, cook using what you already have, and know when what you have expires. Every three months, I check all of the expiration dates so I know what I have to use in the upcoming months and can toss anything that might have expired. I don't use any baskets or crates to keep our fridge and freezer organized, but I do like the idea.
I think most people plan their meals around what they want to eat and will go to the store once or twice that week and buy whatever it is they think they will eat. I plan our meals around what we already have. I keep our meat costs low by buying marked down meat -- meat that's at a reduced price because it's the sell by date. If I don't eat it that day, I freeze it so it's good for another six months. Because I buy our meat that way, I keep an inventory list on the side of the fridge.
Here's a peek into our fridge and freezer ---
In our freezer, all of the meat goes in the biggest section. It takes up the most space. Below it, you'll find things like pizza/pizza crust, flattened homemade soups (they stack so nicely when you freeze the bags flat on a cookie sheet!), popsicles, and coffee for when my mom visits.
Our inventory list is on the side of the fridge.
All frozen veggies (including our guacamole stockpile) go one one door shelf.
Fruit and nuts go on another shelf. Most of the fruit we freeze was either marked down because it was bruised or it was fruit we didn't get around to eating, so I chop it up for smoothies rather than tossing it.
Here's a great example of what a difference three minutes can make. In the photo on the left, the two bottom shelves look ready to explode, but after removing five expired bottles, it looks a bit more organized.
I try to keep the main part of the fridge as grab-friendly as possible. You have all seen how much food we keep in our home... the one thing that gets on my last nerve is when a certain someone stands in front of the fridge and complains that we have nothing to eat. This fridge clearly has plenty to eat!
Fruit is usually washed and right up front (here are two of Logan's favorites: grapes and watermelon).
Dippable veggies are washed, chopped, and ready for hummus.
Homemade snacks are ready to eat (this is our latest family favorite: yogurt mixed with oats, almond milk, chia seeds, and either jam or fresh fruit).
One crisper drawer holds our fresh veggies.
And the other holds overflow. There was a great deal on cheddar cheese at Harris Teeter a few weeks ago and it's one of Logan's favorites, so I stocked up. This is good until August, so we don't need to see it every day. We just keep one block, sliced up, in the meat and cheese drawer higher in the fridge.
Hopefully this inspires you to organize your fridge and freezer too!










No comments:
Post a Comment