Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Back to Labor and Delivery

After spending the wee hours of Sunday morning at labor and delivery with some unexpected bleeding, I was instructed just to take it easy, go ahead and return to work, and to call my OB if the bleeding became worse or failed to subside. By Tuesday morning it was clear that it wasn't getting any better, so I planned to call the doc during my lunch break, but they beat me to the punch, calling me to follow up. They asked me to come in for a sonogram as soon as possible. An hour later, we got to see our sweet boy on the screen again. He's definitely getting bigger, which I could already tell by the strength of his kicks and punches. We got two really detailed images of his face which I will try to post soon. We really think he looks like me, or at least has my cheeks and lips. He made two faces for us! A sweet smiley face and a sad frowny face! It was so cute!

We learned that he's doing just great, but then we got the bad news. They can't really tell what's causing the bleeding or the buildup of excess fluid that's accompanying the blood yet. The placenta is still very low, less than a centimeter from my cervix. Since I'm only 26 weeks, there's still time for the placenta to distance itself from the cervix as my uterus expands to accommodate the growing baby. We really hope that's what happens! The ultrasound also revealed a very small blood clot in my placenta (if I remember correctly) which could also be the cause of the bleeding. The OB decided the best course of action would be to check in to labor and delivery for overnight observation with the hope that the bleeding would subside.

Hearing this made me very emotional. From week 20 we knew that bed rest might be an inevitable possibility but it was just too much too soon. We still have so much to do to prepare for baby's arrival, I'm not ready to leave my work responsibilities in someone else's hands (even though everyone I work with is so wonderfully supportive, even beyond my wildest expectations), and it's just beginning to feel like autumn! I know it's silly, but I was really looking forward to not appearing to be sweaty for once and getting to wear my cute new fall clothes! Plus, laying in bed is going to get really boring! We still have 3 months to go! I had to stop and cry for a little bit on our walk over to labor and delivery.

In L&D, they hooked me up to a fetal heart rate monitor, an IV, and another monitor for contractions. I had no idea I had even been having contractions! Apparently about one an hour. It was neat to see them on the monitor, but I didn't feel a thing. They definitely weren't close enough to be of any concern to the docs. I also had two steroid shots to help strengthen baby's lungs just in case the bleeding continues or gets worse and we have to deliver earlier than expected. By morning, the bleeding slowed down, so they discharged me with instructions to go on house arrest. I can move from the bed to the couch to chairs, shower, get my own snacks and water refills, but that's about it. I can't be on my feet for any length of time and I can't leave my apartment until my follow up Monday. Hopefully, all of my issues will clear up as I rest over the weekend and I'm allowed to resume semi-normal activities on Tuesday. I really hope I don't end up stuck in bed, but I'll do whatever I need to do to keep us both healthy.

I also need to note that Ryan is being absolutely amazing through all of this. He's such a strong shoulder to cry on and he jumps to respond to my every need, even waking up at 3am to get a snack from the vending machine because I was starving and going grocery shopping with coupons today! He hates coupon shopping but he did it because he loves me and he's so awesome!

2 comments:

Heather K. said...

Hi Renee, I am glad to hear that despite the scares baby J seems to be doing ok and is smiling and kicking around. How sweet that Ryan is being so supporting! Hoping for the best! If you do have bedrest you will have lots of time to read about motherhood!

Simply...Me said...

Arent our men AMAZING when it comes to their children! I love it! Truly dont stress out over the things you cant control, if you are on bed rest ....be on bed rest... Your baby will thank you for it and so will your body. We go through everything for a reason and this will only prepare you for motherhood when you want to get a million things done and your sweet little one just wants you to play cars with him! Be in the moment whatever that moment looks like. Love you girl! Stay positive and strong.