Monday, January 27, 2014

The moment you realize your child is definitely yours

One of the things I love about being a mom is watching Logan's personality develop. It's becoming easier to see which characteristics he inherited from Ryan, which he inherited from me, and which are uniquely his own.

Last Monday was a holiday which meant my office and Logan's school were closed so we were able to spend the day with our friends Renee, Niles, and baby Roland. Logan and Niles are like yin and yang. Watching them play can be hilarious especially as I see one of my childhood traits developing in Logan.

Logan is a bit bossy.

My younger sister will not hesitate to tell you that I was definitely bossy.

Logan and Niles have a very different style of playing. Logan is very serious about playtime and Niles is all about having fun. Logan likes to build the train tracks, Niles likes to take them apart. Logan likes to attach the train cars so they all ride together, Niles likes to take the one in the middle. Logan likes to lay down and push a truck back and forth, Niles likes to throw trucks across the room. Logan likes to sit in Roland's bumbo chair, Niles likes to put toys in the chair so Logan can't sit down. Usually they play great together, but sometimes you can see Niles' sweet free-spiritedness driving Logan crazy and it's just so funny. When it was time to go to the park, Logan was ready to put on his shoes and jacket and go, and when he noticed Niles wasn't on the same page, he guided him to the stairs.

I have witnessed this bossy behavior popping up again all weekend. Our friends Courtny and Dennis and their son, John, are visiting from California. John, like Niles, is a bit of a free spirit and, again, I can see it drives Logan nuts sometimes. I actually hear Logan saying "no, no, no, no, no" to John in the exact same tone I use to say it to Logan. When John runs off in the wrong direction, Logan charges after him to basically tackle him and gently but sternly guide him in the right direction.

I must admit, I love having the kid who follows directions but how do I make sure he isn't bossy in a mean way and still has fun so other kids want to play with him?

No comments: