Sunday, October 16, 2011

Bed Rest Update

Thursday was a big day for us: we had the follow-up ultrasound to my hospital stay 4 1/2 weeks ago. I was so nervous the night before, I couldn't sleep and I felt a bit sick all the way through the ultrasound.

They checked the baby first; he is doing great. He still has no idea anything is wrong. We watched his heart beat strongly, we saw him open and close his mouth, all of his organs are working as they should, and they measured him. It turns out our little guy is not so little. At 30 weeks and 4 days, Baby J already appears to weigh 4.6 pounds! He is measuring well above average. With 8 or 9 weeks to go, gaining a half a pound a week, we're looking at a potential 9 pound chunky butt!

The reason for our ultrasound was to determine whether the placenta has moved farther away the cervix. When I was in the hospital, it was only about one centimeter away. It only progressed to 1.3 centimeters away from the cervix in over 4 weeks. The tech actually had to nudge baby's head away so she could get a good image. We also saw that there is still a little bit of blood and fluid in my uterus from the earlier tear that will continue to make its way out. Considering both of those factors, my doctors thought it would be best for me to stay at home for another 4 weeks at least. Fortunately though, I am allowed to be a little more active despite staying between our four walls.

In 4 weeks, I'll return for my next ultrasound. If the placenta has moved up to their satisfaction, I may be able to try for a natural delivery when labor begins on its own. If it hasn't moved up to their satisfaction, I'll have to proceed with weekly ultrasounds. They'll look for signs of labor beginning in an effort to keep baby cooking as long as possible but getting him out before I risk hemorrhaging. We will be on pins and needles for the next two months and staying cautious.

No comments: