For the first time ever, I will be attempting to grow plants from seeds. Usually, the herbs I manage to keep half alive are purchased from the farmer's market or Home Depot and are already well on their way. While browsing through the seed selection today, I couldn't help but think about the many benefits the foods I hope to grow will have for my family. While saving money on produce (especially on fresh herbs), I will be able to continue to teach Logan about where food comes from, the work it takes to make something grow, and that eating veggies is fun and so good for us.
We should be eating 2 1/2 to 5 1/2 cups (that's 5 to 13 servings) of fruit and vegetables every day! According to the Harvard School of Public Health, "for a person who needs 2,000 calories a day to maintain weight and health, this translates into nine servings, or 4½ cups per day (2 cups of fruit and 2½ cups of vegetables)." That doesn't include potatoes (which I can't eat anyway).
In an 11 year study, they learned that a person who eats 5 or more servings per day reduces their risk of heart disease by 20% and a person who eats 8 or more servings per day reduces their risk by 30%.
So, the next time you reach for a snack or plan a meal, grab a handful of berries (fresh or dried) or carrots and hummus or make a Renee salad. What's a Renee salad? A perfect Renee salad contains greens, fruit, nuts, cheese, and vinaigrette.
Eat for your heart!!
No comments:
Post a Comment