Monday, April 7, 2014

My Little Plants Now Live Outdoors!

They grow up so fast!

This Sunday, I was reminded again why I love weekends. I was feeling really frustrated about giving up on my elimination diet but spending two hours out in the sun with my hands in the dirt and sweat on my brow was all I needed to clear my head. What's better than eating something you raised yourself, right?

I learned a lot from my little seedlings. Some, like summer squash, okra, and zucchini, grow really fast! I think it would be better to start them in a larger seed tray with a taller cover. Others, like chives and spinach, failed to thrive in the trays. I'll be starting them again next weekend, sowing them directly outdoors.

You will notice that my little garden does not look like the standard potted garden. Pots meant for plants are expensive! Baskets, tubs, and containers purchased from a thrift store on a half price holiday are really inexpensive and easily converted to gardening containers with the help of a drill to poke a few holes on the bottom for drainage and a layer of rocks on the bottom to further assist with the drainage.


Some containers, like empty juice and soda bottles are even better, because they are completely free! In an upcoming post, I'll show you how easy it is to upcycle and make your own hanging containers with materials you probably have around your house. Raising some of your plants off the floor really helps to make the most of tight spaces.





So far, I've planted summer squash, spaghetti squash, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumbers, okra, tomatoes, thyme, rosemary, lima beans, sunflower, and lettuce. I plan on adding Italian basil, Thai basil, lavender, more lettuce, oregano, chives, and maybe some carrots.



I am so excited to watch my garden grow and my little helper is excited about it too. When he awoke from his nap, I was about halfway through getting everything planted so dirt and supplies still littered the balcony. The first thing Logan said when he came outside was, "you make a mess! I sweep!" When he was done sweeping, he quickly got to work watering the fronts of all the containers. We'll have to work on his reach so the plants in the back aren't neglected!

More to come!!

No comments: