Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Hydrate your Heart: Fact #25

With my friends and family in California, Nevada, and Arizona heading toward a very dry summer, I find myself thinking about water every single day. I think we often take for granted how easy it is to turn on the faucet and water just comes out. I think it's so important to stock up on water because it is literally the most important thing we put into our bodies. We know we should have water to stay hydrated but what does water do for our hearts?
  • It improves our circulation
  • It reduces calories when you substitute water for soft drinks and sugary juices
  • "Letting the body get dehydrated could be as hard on the heart as not getting enough exercise, making poor food choices, and smoking" http://heart1.com/news/mainstory.cfm/332

Any alternative to water, even if the main ingredient is water, like tea, is absorbed differently so the water is not used by the body in the same way. It will quench your thirst and make you more full, but it won't help your heart like good old-fashioned water.

So how much should you drink? My physical therapist recommended this equation for determining the number of ounces of water a person should drink daily.

Current weight / 2 = number of ounces
 
Using this equation, at my weight (175 pounds), I should drink 88 ounces of water a day.
 
Stock up!

No comments: