I planted my first batch of seeds on February 10 and was completely surprised to see growth from most of the seeds within one week. I started a second tray the following week. Since then, I've observed that the plants grow at completely different rates. For example, cucumbers are gigantic and they grow really fast! I had to remove the cover from the seed tray in just a few days which might have prevented other seeds, like rosemary, from sprouting. I've moved the cucumber and some of the squash to a bigger container. Next year, when I start with seed trays, I'll need to make sure to start seeds that grow at the same rate in the same trays. I will also need to start some of these giant seedlings like cucumber, spaghetti squash, zucchini, and sunflower in much bigger seed trays. Their roots quickly overtook the little starter cups.
Giant cucumbers and squash:
Totally towering over the other seedlings in the little trays behind them:
The majority of the herbs are growing at about the same rate, as are the lettuces and spinach:
Overall, I am so excited to see my little plants growing! My confidence in my ability to develop a green thumb is also growing.
My Oma and Opa and all of my great aunts and uncles in Germany have always had gardens. In fact, in Germany, the backyard is not even called a yard, it's called a garden. Some of my favorite childhood memories are picking blackberries in Tante Ilse's garden and climbing up to the top of my Opa's walnut tree with a nutcracker in my pocket, showering shells down to the ground below. Growing your own food, or at least some it, and using all of your food scraps for compost is an everyday part of life. The more I learn about food security and read articles like the one linked below, the more I feel compelled to grow our own. For now, I will continue to work on developing my skills and overcrowding our little balcony with veggies and herbs. In the future, when we have our own home and a real garden, I hope to be able to grow and store many of our family's favorite fruits, veggies, tubers, and nuts.
Crop Diversity Decline 'Threatens Food Security'




No comments:
Post a Comment