I know how it feels to have heart disease but I will never know how Ryan felt sitting in the chair right next to me in the cardiologist's office when we received my diagnosis. The woman he loved was suffering and there was a possibility he faced life with a sick wife, or worse, no wife and no mother for his newborn. I know he was terrified. I can't count the number of times I thanked him for being so supportive and I don't know if I ever thanked him for being so brave during such a scary time. He never showed me he was scared. He just focused on me and on Logan and made sure we were doing everything possible to get me on the right track. Thank you, Ryan, for being so brave!
If you ever find yourself in Ryan's shoes, and I hope you never do, you will want to be helpful and supportive, but you might not know what to do. Based on my experience, I would like to share some suggestions for things you can do to help those you love if they ever suffer heart failure, a stroke, or a heart attack.
- Allow them time to rest. I was so grateful when my family and friends came to visit because they lifted my spirits but I was even more grateful when they would do things without my asking. My mom would disappear for 20 minutes and when she would reappear, the bathroom would be clean! And I knew I could take a real nap when my mom was there taking care of Logan because I had nothing to worry about. My sister would do our grocery shopping, make meals, and clean everything up. She even decorated our Christmas tree.
- Even though rest is the most important thing, it's not the time to be lazy. Once the doctor has given the green light, join them for gentle physical activity like walking, swimming, bowling, or biking... anything to get that heart pumping and blood flowing.
- Encourage them to talk about their experience or to write about it. In addition to being terrified, I was angry. I was angry because my body had failed me. I was angry I could not nurse Logan because I was so dehydrated from my medication I could not produce milk. I was angry I did not have the energy to be the mom I wanted to be. Being honest about what I was feeling helped. If your loved one is showing signs of being angry or depressed but doesn't seem to be working through it, encourage them to talk to someone who can help.
- If they smoke, encourage them to stop! If a heart attack survivor smokes, their chances of having a second heart attack are double that of a non-smoker.
- Encourage healthy eating habits. When you prepare meals make sure they are nutritious and low in sodium. It will be good for the whole family!
- Remember that it is just as important to take care of yourself when you are taking care of someone else. If you start to feel the strain of caring for a loved one, begin to feel resentment, or feel like other important obligations are falling to the wayside, don't be afraid to ask for help.
No comments:
Post a Comment