Today, my friend Danielle and I were talking about TV shows like "My 600-Pound Life" and "Biggest Loser" and what happens to a person to get to such extreme weights. As someone who has always been a bit overweight, since childhood, I know so much of it must come from eating habits developed as a child. I was an awful eater!! I still remember the first time I ate lettuce. I was in middle school already and nearly put my Dad into shock when I put lettuce on my otherwise meat and cheese taco.
Even though I was a pretty active kid who loved to play sports and was outside most of the time, those awful eating habits I developed back then and the extra weight I have always carried could have led to some of the health problems I have now. According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention "70% of obese youth have at least one risk factor for cardiovascular disease" and an obese child is far more likely to be obese as an adult putting them at greater risk for health problems like stroke and heart disease.
So far, it seems like Logan will not be as picky as I was as a child. He actually enjoys eating broccoli, green beans, baby lima beans, edamame, and carrot sticks with hummus. Luckily, my palate has evolved and Logan sees Ryan and me eating well-rounded meals and snacks. Just today, he skipped the special snow day snow cream and opted for two bowls of blueberries instead. My major goal for raising Logan (and any other children we hope to be blessed with) is that he grows up to not be like Ryan and me but to be better than us! This goal applies to eating habits and an active lifestyle, too. Thinking about the person we want him and acting on those thoughts makes us better!
Next Valentine's Day, think twice about giving your children boxes of chocolates and passing out sugar and sodium-filled Valentines to their classmates and teachers. Skip the candy hearts to protect their hearts!
No comments:
Post a Comment