The foods that we eat are constantly evolving as we learn more about what our bodies need, as new foods are discovered, or as old foods are rediscovered. In the last few months, I have heard about and started purchasing foods I'd never heard of before. I blow my own mind when I think about how I used to eat as a kid (white bread with ketchup, nacho cheese doritos, meat with ketchup, and ice cream were my regular foods) and how I eat now (spinach and kale in my almond milk smoothies, ground flax in my oatmeal, chia seeds in my yogurt, tapioca starch and xanthan gum in my bread...). Until a few weeks ago, chia was associated with the phrase "I love my chia herb garden." I never realized it was something you could and should eat!!
The best foods for your heart are nutrient dense, high in fiber, and contain healthy fats. Here's a short list of some heart health superfoods and why they are so awesome.
- salmon (omega-3s)
- oatmeal (fiber)
- berries (flavonoid: antioxidants)
- dark chocolate (flavonoid: polyphenols)
- citrus fruits (vitamin C)
- soy/soy beans (polyunsaturated fats, protein)
- tomatoes (potassium, lycopene)
- walnuts (fiber, vitamin E, omega-3s)
- almonds/pistachios/peanuts/macadamia nuts (fiber, vitamin E)
- beans/lentils/peas (protein)
- extra virgin olive oil/olives (mono-unsaturated fats)
- green tea (antioxidant: catechins)
- broccoli/spinach (carotenoids, fiber)
- kale (omega-3s, carotenoids, fiber)
- flax seeds/chia seeds (omega-3s, fiber)
- avocados (mono-unsaturated fats, antioxidants, potassium)
- pomegranate/apples (antioxidants: polyphenols/antocyanins)
Luckily, all of these foods are delicious and can be purchased just about anywhere. Between my regular grocery store (Harris Teeter) and Costco, I literally saw all of these today at decent prices. I picked up a 32 oz bag of organic chia seeds at Costco for $14 and I know it will last us a few months since we only use a couple spoonfuls at a time.
Now, if only I could kick that ice cream habit lingering from childhood, I might be in perfect health!
No comments:
Post a Comment