Tuesday, July 1, 2008

First Day at the Capitol

I don't know what I was expecting for today but I've got to say, even though it wasn't particularly exciting, it was pretty cool! It was sweet to be able to walk up to the building where Congressman Payne's office is knowing who else has offices in that building and the surrounding buildings... I've already seen Nancy Pelosi and today I learned the cafeteria recylces and offers many healthy options because of her. It's a possibility that I could run into any of our presidential candidates!

So, anyway, about my day: all of the other interns and staff members in my office are so nice! I didn't get a chance to talk to the Congressman today (he's in Africa) but I did get to write letters to some of his constituents on his behalf. (By the way, if you write a letter to a Congressman or Senator and receive a reply, it's about a 99% chance that an intern wrote it, a staff member approved it, and the person who "signed" it never even saw it!). Writing replies does involve some research and creativity, so I do feel like I am getting more research an writing experience.

The best part of my day was having conversations about interesting subjects with intelligent people! Everyone in the office has an impressive background and ambitious goals. I had good conversations with people all day and I even made a friend! Haily showed me the ropes today, we chatted all day, found out we live near each other and chatted all of the way home on the Metro (that's right, I'm a commuter and I read the newspaper on the way to work)! We're both planning on going to the National Mall to watch the fireworks on Friday, so hopefully we'll be able to meet up there!

Today was a good day!

No comments: