Friday, July 25, 2008

Had a Fun Week

This week was just really cool.

Tuesday, my morning started with an HTML class. This was my second class and I'm excited that I'm learning how to make a real website for my writing business and it's a marketable skill to build my resume. After the class, I attended the second half of a hearing to find myself sitting across from second ranked PGA golfer, Phil Mickelson! He and his wife sponsor a program for math and science teachers and were testifying on the need to strengthen math and science education. Then, two of my coworkers and I went to a presentation by Rory Freedman, the author of "Skinny Bitch", and got to eat some free and absolutely delicious vegan food. Rory was hilarious and gave a ton of good advice for living a healthy life. That evening, I joined the majority of my office at a reception for the South Africa Washington Intern Program to recognize two of our interns from Ireland and South Africa and was able to meet quite a few of their friends, chat with Representative Lynn Woolsey, and make my boss, Congressman Payne happy by refilling his favorite beer (Heineken).

Wednesday was awesome for two reasons: I met Hill Harper from CSI New York because he came to my office to meet with DMP before going to a book signing (I took a picture with him!) and it was the first time we had people over who we met here! My co-interns Jaimie, Mary, Hailey and her boyfriend, Teddy, came over for a dinner party! I was soooo excited to entertain!! You all know how much I love a little party!! Thankfully, it was actually cool enough to have dinner out on our patio! We finally used our patio furniture for its intended purpose! Woo hoo!! We enjoyed some fabulous conversation-- really, all the interns in my office are so amazing, it wonderful being with a group of young people who are so diverse, so hard working, and so motivated, they really all have amazing stories! Dinner was caprese salad with basil fresh from my herb garden, caesar salad with homemade croutons, my classic ziti (but with subbed noodles) and fresh strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries with homemade extra-vanilla whipped cream for dessert. They loved every bite!!

Thursday, I attended the craziest hearing they probably ever had on The Hill. It was an Education and Labor Committee meeting about childhood obesity and physical education in schools... so why was it hilarious? Richard Simmons (yes the workout guru typically in a muscle shirt and spandex shorts) was on the panel of witnesses and he freaking stole the show! Also on the panel was former Oakland Raider, Tim Brown! It was a crazy hearing! Even the Congress members were cracking jokes and sharing their personal stories. The best part during the hearing was when Richard Simmons called Congressman Keller, a Republican, "cute" and referred to Tim Brown as "football man"! Everyone was cracking up! When the hearing was over, Richard Simmons came through the back room where I was sitting with about five other staffers and I got to meet him! I wasn't as lucky as my colleague LaVerne though, he gave her a kiss on the cheek and said "hey gorgeous"! It was great!

Yesterday, Ryan also had a great day at work! They had a special event at one of his stores to promote the iphone to Congress, so he got to network DC style too... and he scored a bonus free case of beer! Hahaha! It was a nice perk.

Today, I only spent about two hours working before I was able to catch some awesome lectures. First, I went over to the Senate side to see Cokie Roberts, world-reknown journalist give a great talk about the journalistic view of politics. She really had some great insight to how everything works there on the hill and had a ton of experience to share. She was great! After that, I went to a lecture series with the 21st Century Democrats to hear: Jamal Simmons (political analyst and advisor frequently on CNN and MSNBC) who had great insight to the Obama and Clinton campaigns (really he's brilliant); Robert Greenstein from the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities (did you know that Bush's tax cuts will put the country in a 4 trillion dollar deficit by 2010 and the gap between classes is wider than it has ever been? I.E. the rich are getting richer, the poor are getting poorer, and the whole country will suffer for it!); and, Senator Amy Klobuchar from Minnesota who was just phenomenal! Seriously, they were all phenomenol!! So, after all these amazing lectures, I went to a class on the history of the Capitol and all I can say is "wow", I really am privileged to work in such an amazing, influential, and important place. I truly hope I am able to get a full time position here so I can become even more involved.

Here's what we've got going on this weekend: Ryan started the weekend with a bang! He's been at happy hour now with a new buddy for, oh, about 7 hours! I'm so happy we're making friends finally! Tomorrow, we're going to a picnic and frisbee at the Arboretum Park with Hailey, Teddy, Jaimie, Mary, and Antonina from work and a few more of Hailey and Teddy's friends that they have met here since January. Sunday, I'm going to Virginia to volunteer for a few hours registering people to vote! With my help, Obama will turn Virginia into a blue state!

Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

Colleen said...

I am super interested on how the Childhood Obesity and PE in Schools hearing went! Let me know so more details when you can! How hysterical to see Richard Simmons! REALLY! I am so happy that you are so involved! It makes for excellent blogging! :)

Moore Family said...

Wow! What a busy week! Sounds very interesting...I think it's funny that you were at the thing with Richar Simmons, I read about it on AOL yesterday,it was the headline on their homepage! Miss you and can't wait til your here!!