Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Vegan Health Part 2 and Pear Smoothies!

I also officially lost 4.5 pounds... without exercising. I have gone on probably 3 or 4 bike rides since the study began and have been walking less since I have been out of work for nearly a month, so this is pretty impressive! I think half a pound a week is a very healthy way to lose weight! If I keep it up, that's 26 pounds over the year! (Or more if I actually exercise)!

Here's a recipe for ya!

This smoothie is sooooo delicious, subtly sweet, and refreshing! I made it for Ryan for the first time today and he can't wait for the next!

In a blender, combine the following ingredients (you might have to chop a little bit depending on the strength of your blender):

1 cup of green grapes
1 bartlett pear
1 orange
1 banana
1 cup of kale (yes, the green vegetable)
1 cup of light vanilla soy milk
1 tbsp flax seed
1 or 2 cups of ice

Blend well and enjoy immediately. Makes 2 big smoothies or 4 small ones.

If you just want to make enough for one smoothie for yourself, just cut the ingredients in half. I recommend using the remaining halves of the grapes, pear, orange and banana as a fruit salad with a splash of orange juice, lemon juice, and shredded coconut. Put the fruit salad in a storage container and eat it later in the day as a snack.

2 comments:

Dre said...

That smoothie sounds great! I have been making one each morning for the last 2 weeks. I put 1.5c kale and 1.5c spinach and then 4 cups of whatever fruits I have around! Delicious! I definitely feel a difference using the greens and flax seed each morning! Keep up the good work!

Devyn said...

Sounds yummy!! Great job on the weight loss, I need to step it up over and start losing some weight myself!