Friday, September 11, 2009

Proof that being a Vegan is making me healthier!

I have been a vegan for almost 2 months already! Can you believe it!? I just wanted to share with you the proof that it is working. We did baseline labs the week before the study began and will be doing them again next week. Well, I needed to get labs done two weeks ago in order to refill a prescription for my polycystic ovarian syndrome so I was able to get a sneak preview of my progress and was really impressed by my results.

I want to share my numbers from two years ago, two months ago, and two weeks ago (being vegan for 6 weeks) compared to what is normal. The numbers from two years ago are what provided the diagnosis of PCOS.

Triglycerides
Normal=Less than 150
2 Years Ago=295
2 Months Ago=234
2 Weeks Ago=114 (normal!)

Total Cholesterol
Normal=Less than 200
2 Years Ago=216
2 Months Ago=201
2 Weeks Ago=163 (normal!)

HDL Cholesterol
Normal=40 or Higher
2 Years Ago=35
2 Months Ago=38
2 Weeks Ago=36 (I need to exercise more and eat more Omega 3s like flax seeds, walnuts, soy, and winter squash and this will be ok)

LDL Cholesterol
Normal=Less than 130
2 Years Ago=120
2 Months Ago=116
2 Weeks Ago=104 (normal!)

Fasting Blood Sugar
Normal=Less than 100
2 Years Ago=109
2 Months Ago=101
2 Weeks Ago=93 (normal!)

Hemoglobin A1c
Normal=Less than 6
2 Years Ago=6
2 Months Ago=6
2 Weeks Ago=5.7 (normal!)

This is so awesome! My diet is great! My triglyceride and total cholesterol blew me away! What these number tell me is that by working out and continuing to take my meds, I just might start to function normally on the inside, reduce my external symptoms of PCOS (acne, being heavy around my middle, and male pattern hair growth and loss (yuck!)), and hopefully obtain my ultimate goal of becoming pregnant without using fertility drugs and have a pregnancy without the risks PCOS causes (miscarriage, gestational diabetes, hypertension, and premature delivery).

Now let's just hope I am able to get health insurance so I can stay healthy!!

I'm going to stand on my soap box for a minute and you can skip this if you like: Funny thing is, here is proof that with regular care, I can be healthy, but every insurance company will deny me if I am honest on my application because I have a reproductive disorder which is considered to be very expensive. With the right medication (and I only take one pill daily), regular check-ups, and nutrition information, I am perfectly healthy. It is because of situations like my health situation and involuntary lack of employment that I believe universal health care should be an option!

No comments: