Well, the crazy week was actually more like two weeks. It started on Saturday the 12th when Ryan and I headed downtown for the Cherry Blossom/Japanese Culture Festival. We got to see some interesting Japanese performers and vendors, but it was so crowded, we didn't get to do the best part: eat Japanese food! I think we would have had to wait an hour at least because the lines were so long! After the festival we strolled by the Washington Monument to walk through the cherry blossom trees and realized we were really lucky to have driven through the weekend before because they were already gone! They just looked like plain trees! We both couldn't help but wonder if the trees are called cherry blossom trees because the blooms are pink or if they actually produce cherries... anyone know? Averi? This time we were able to walk through the all the beautiful tulips though and I found I know Dani would like; it was so dark purple it looked black!
That Sunday, Mama's birthday, we spent relaxing at home and prepping for the crazy week ahead. Monday morning bright and early, Ryan dropped me off at the airport so I could fly to California to visit Daniela and Wally!! Wally (pronounced like it begins with a V) has been my mom's best friend forever and Daniela is her daughter. We've grown up together. In fact, when we were kids living in England, we caught the chicken pox from Daniela and her brother, Jan (pronounced Yan) during an Easter vacation. Monday evening, they still weren't back from picking up Alex (Daniela's boyfriend) at LAX, so I went over to Jenn's to "check in", eat some yummy Sunnymead Burger for dinner, and hang out a little bit. I love being at Jenn's! We've been friends for so long, her family is like family to me! Finally, they all arrived at my mom's and we finally were able to catch up! It was so nice!
Tuesday was a pretty relaxing day as well. They were all on the verge of exhaustion as their trip was coming to an end so we just spent a couple of hours shopping at Victoria Gardens (I love that place!) and enjoying a delicous lunch at Lucille's (I love that place too!!).
Sadly, Wally, Daniela, and Alex flew back to Germany Wednesday morning. Fortunately, I was able to send them off. As they were leaving, I was finishing repacking my stuff to meet Ryan in Arizona for Summit, a big reward getaway for the top performers at AT&T. On the way to the airport, I was able to stop by Cal State and visit Natalie and Albert and take care of a few loose ends.
By early afternoon, after being in California for only two days, I was flying into Phoenix...
1 comment:
In 3 years I lived in Japan, the Cherry Blossom Trees "Sakura" never produced cherries. I THINK a different species produces the fruit. If you couldn't tell...it's a HUGE deal for that culture to view them "hanami". Where we lived the trees would line the road for miles and viewers would party under them. Kalee even remembers the trees and the festivals associated with them.
I can make one Japanese dish- Yakisoba that I promise you was at that event (along with Sushi, Yakiniku and Yakitori). When we catch up I'll have to make it for you (and I even have real chopsticks). ;)
Post a Comment