Friday, July 22, 2011

Making Unique DC Memories

Sorry readers! I usually try to post our weekly update on Monday and always take a new belly pic, but this Monday was far from our typical Monday.

It started just as any other Monday. We went to work and Ryan met up with me after work to head to softball. He's been playing on my office's team all summer and I've been official scorekeeper. This was potentially our last game of the season so we were hoping for a win to make it to the playoffs. Ryan loved playing this year and was hoping to squeeze out a few more games!

The game started horribly! Even from the very first inning, our base running stunk. In one of the following innings, the other team got us out with a triple play! Maybe it was the excessive heat but our team seemed to lose all of the skills they developed throughout the season. The other team was ready to quit even though they were winning, but we convinced them to play one more inning so we could get another chance at bat. I think we might have pushed too far because this bad streak continued all the way up to the last play of the last inning.

We were in the field, the other team had two outs, and their batter hit a soft hit that practically rolled to our pitcher. Our pitcher got the ball and threw it to Ryan at first base but it bounced on a knobby patch of grass and hit him straight across the nose! Blood immediately started squirting out of the top and bottom of Ryan's nose! Luckily, he had a handkerchief in his pocket to cover it but I don't think he realized how bad he was bleeding. He kept saying, "I want to keep playing, I'm next up to bat!" As everyone scrambled for tissues, I walked over to check out what was going on with all this blood. He moved the handkerchief and I just knew it was broken. The bridge of his nose had visibly shifted a few centimeters in the wrong direction and he was bleeding from the bridge as well as his nostrils. I had to convince him it was not sanitary to play sports while bleeding and that his nose was broken so we needed to go to the ER.

Luckily, one of our teammates and his wife had their car nearby, so they were able to drive us to the emergency room. I actually think she and I jinxed our husbands during the game. She is pregnant as well and her husband pulled a hamstring in about the fourth inning. We joked that now was the time to get hurt because we'll need them to be in good health in five months. Not twenty minutes later, Ryan broke his nose! Oops!

Anyway, we got to the ER at about 8:30pm. Ryan was still bleeding but not in any pain, fortunately. Since our emergency wasn't a major emergency, it took awhile for the doctor to see Ryan. The doctor knew right away that it was broken, so Ryan was sent to get some x-rays and a CT scan to make sure there wasn't any other damage. At around 12:30am, they were finally able to seal up the cut on the bridge of his nose with some dermaskin (like skin superglue).

As they were getting his discharge papers and giving him instructions to make an appointment with a specialist later in the week, I suddenly realized I was starving! My adrenaline completely left me. I could feel the blood draining out of my head, my ears seemed to turn off, and everything became cloudy. I threw off Ryan's backpack and said, "I think I'm passing out!" Ryan leaped out of the bed just in time for me to fall into it. The nurse who was discharging him put an icepack under my head and ran off to get me something to eat and drink. We were supposed to go to dinner with the team after the game but we obviously missed that and the cheez-its I got from the vending machine a few hours earlier just didn't hold up. The nurse wouldn't let us leave until I finished a dry (practically frozen) turkey sandwich and a few cups of juice.

We ended up not leaving until about 1 or 1:30am. I felt fine by the time we left and so did Ryan. We just stopped at CVS on the way home to get some Tylenol. It was a very late night and a crazy way to start the week!

That is why we haven't blogged! I was so tired Tuesday, I went to physical therapy in the morning but then went home for a few more hours of sleep before going to work. With an orthodontist appointment Wednesday, a glucose test Thursday, physical therapy this morning, and Ryan's follow up with a specialist this afternoon, I have just been exhausted!

The good news is Ryan doesn't need plastic surgery and won't even need to be knocked out when they fix his nose next week. Just some local anasthetic, a snap, and a crack, and he'll be as handsome as ever! And, we will always have a special memory of Ryan breaking his nose on the National Mall, on the field between the Washington Monument and the White House! How many tourists can say they've done that?

No comments: