Ryan and Jeff went to the Redskins game so I took advantage of the beautiful sunny 72 degree day to go on a a little adventure which turned out to be a bog adventure. The last time I biked the Capital Crescent Trail, I took the Metro from our apartment to the stop at the beginning of the trail. My ride then was about 7.5 miles and took an hour because I stopped at least 4 times for water and even more for pictures. Today I decided I wasn't going to cheat, so I began by biking to the beginning of the trail from my apartment and then down the trail to Georgetown. If you go straight from our apartment to the movie theater in Georgetown, it is 14 miles, so I am guessing I biked about 16 miles in 1.5 hours! I didn't need any breaks at all this time!
Highlights of the ride: a red-haired hippie with foot-long beard jogging barefoot, hard-breaking to avoid a squirrel (felt like that insurance commercial where the squirrels give each other a high-five), and the gorgeousness of the beginning of fall! It is still so green and the leaves on some trees are just beginning to turn. The sky is so blue in the fall too. It really was a gorgeous ride!
When I arrived in Georgetown, I went to the movies to see "Whip It!" Very entertaining! Kristen Wiig is hilarious! I recommend it!
There was no way I was biking all the way back home and I needed to get home in time to pick the boys up from the football game, so I biked about another mile into town to get on the Metro. The rules for taking bikes on the Metro stipulate taking the elevator and I tend to favor following the rules which ended up getting me in a lot of trouble this time... I got stuck in the elevator!!! I got in, pushed the button to go down and the door closed but nothing happened. I pushed the button to go down again, nothing happened. I pushed the button to open the door... nothing happened! Ah! I pushed the button to close the door, nothing happened! I pushed the button to open the door and it opened about a half an inch! Ah! I pushed the button to close the door and it closed, but didn't descend! Ah! After about 10 minutes of pushing buttons in different sequences and trying to pry open the door when it opened half an inch, I finally pushed the call button and the station manager had to come up and tinker with the door for while, finally getting it to descend. I didn't really panic because I was still at the top and could see out the little window, it was just kinda smelly and I was worried about being super late to get the boys. When I finally got to the tracks, I just missed my train and ended up being super late anyway! Grr! As I stood there, there was an announcement about which stations had elevators out of service, which is a daily occurrence, but it was the first time I heard of an elevator being out of service that I was just on!! Haha! What a day!
3 comments:
I love that you are biking! I'm almost through with my training here on the island, and I'm going to petition for a bike as soon as possible. Enjoy the lovely fall, I remember how pretty Mount Vernon was when I was there this time last year!
Fall is the best! Biking is great but getting stuck in an elevator makes your adventure that much more interesting. :) I can't wait to see the trees change here.
Wow, I think I would have freaked out!
Post a Comment